Port Arthur Community Players founded
Founded in June at a community meeting, Cambrian Players begins its life as “Port Arthur Community Players”. On December 9, 1949, Arsenic and Old Lace, directed by Marion Bell, is staged at Port Arthur Technical and Commercial School (later Hillcrest High School), with ticket prices at $1.
The Players move into a former church, but by 1956, the financial structure of the group is very shaky and the group is forced to find a new space. The Players seek and find new homes multiple times, but new moves are often prompted by buildings being slated for demolition. In 1961, another former church building is turned into a studio theatre and provides a home for a few years. Unfortunately, as history repeats itself, the building is eventually reclaimed and demolished.
Cambrian Players of the Lakehead
Realizing that their membership comes from all corners of town, Port Arthur Community Players becomes Cambrian Players of the Lakehead.
On an invitation from the Lakehead College Board, the Players moved their operating base to the Lakehead University Theatre, becoming the resident drama group. A short time later, the space became unsafe to perform in, and Cambrian was on the move again.
Cambrian is invoted to join a co-operative centennial venture with Lakehead Symphony Orchestra, Lakehead Choral Society, Fort William Male Choir, and the Lakehead Society of Fine Arts in a production of Brigadoon.
On the move again
An expansion is planned for Lakehead University. Cambrian continues to produce shows on the University stage, but needs a new home for their assets.
Thunder Bay’s theatre scene catches the attention of both the Globe and Mail and CBC when Carmen, a four act grande opera with full chorus and sets, is performed on a high school auditorium stage.
Eleanor Drury Children’s Theatre is founded by members of Cambrian Players, and is named after one of our founders.
Christena Wright scholarship is instated for high school students pursuing post-secondary education in dramatic arts
Dominion Drama Festival
Between 1949 and 1974, Cambrian Players enters six productions in the Dominion Drama Festival. It took a total of 14 awards from best visual presentation, design, play, director, actor, actress, supporting actor and actress.
A new home... again
Cambrian Players’ moves to the Victoria Avenue studio
One-Act Play Festival
Hans Warmenhoven initiates our first One Act Play Festival, which runs for many years and features both renowned and local playwrights.
Cambrian Improv Players founded
Cambrian finds a permanent home
Cambrian Players purchases the former Polish Hall at 818 Spring Street, and has a permanent home at last.
Since then, major repairs have occurred, including a new roof. The next big goal – to make the building accessible, by way of an exterior lift and main floor washroom!
Green Room series is revived
Covid-19 shuts down in-person theatre
Cambrian’s future is uncertain when a hold is put on all in-person events. We persevere by presenting select digital theatre offerings.
Return to live theatre
Treasure Island brings us out of our live theatre hiatus.